Fire Protection Engineer
Fire and Security Jobs
Welcome to the premier site for fire protection and security jobs in the USA
Post a Job
Job: Associate Engineer (Fire Protection), City of San Jose, San Jose, CA
Associate Engineer (Fire Protection)
San Jose, CA 95113 United States
Fire Protection Engineer
About the Department
The San José Fire Department's (SJFD) core mission is to serve the community by protecting life, property, and the environment through prevention and response. SJFD is a high-volume, high-performance, all-risk Fire Department that protects approximately 200 square miles including, residential, commercial, high-rise, wildland interface areas, and several high-hazard occupancies. For additional information visit sjfd.org.
Positions & Duties
The City of San José Fire Department, Bureau of Fire Prevention, is recruiting to fill an Associate Engineer (Fire Protection) position. Under the general supervision of a Senior Engineer, this position performs a variety of professional engineering work. The Department currently has one (1) vacancy to fill.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Examine plans, perform calculations and review specifications for commercial, industrial, and residential buildings for compliance with the California Building Code, California Fire Code, California State Fire Marshal regulations, and applicable NFPA standards and local ordinances.
- Provide technical advice to consultants, architects, engineers, contractors, developers, department officers and staff, and the Fire Marshal on the application or interpretation of fire safety codes/regulations, and on the resolution of fire safety issues found in the preliminary design of buildings.
- Analyze and evaluate proposals for alternate materials, methods of construction, and/or variances to fire safety codes and regulations.
- Conduct field inspections to ensure that the finished construction complies with approved plans.
The subject of the incumbent’s tasks will be focused on one or more of the following areas: Building Life Safety Systems, Fire Suppression Systems, Fire Detection / Fire Alarm Systems, Smoke Control Systems.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – knowledge of State codes and national standards relevant to building life safety and fire protection; experience examining building plans to ensure compliance with building fire safety and fire protection; experience in the design, evaluation, and inspection / testing of fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems, and smoke control systems; possession of certifications and licenses related to fire protection engineering.
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills – develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills. Works collaboratively with the public to help identify acceptable solutions to code or construction challenges.
Communication Skills – effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Customer Service – demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
1. Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Fire Protection, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil or Architectural Engineering, (or a closely related engineering field), from an accredited College or University or possession of an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certificate.
2. Experience: Three (3) years of increasingly responsible professional fire protection engineering experience. Fire protection engineering experience is defined as engineering experience working in one or more of the following areas: building life safety systems and smoke control systems, fire suppression systems, and fire alarm/detection/monitoring systems; or other engineering experience that requires familiarity with California Fire Code, California Building Code, California State Fire Marshal regulations, and applicable NFPA standards.
3. Acceptable Substitutions: A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Fire Protection, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil or Architectural Engineering, (or a closely related engineering field), may be substituted for one year of professional fire protection engineering experience.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Are you a licensed engineer? If so, please indicate your license type and number.
2. Please list any professional certifications related to fire protection engineering such as the ICC certification for Plans Examiner or Fire Inspector that you may have.
3. Please describe your experience with the following codes: California Fire Code, California Building Code, California Mechanical Code, California Electrical Code, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards, Title 19 - California Code of Regulations, or any other code(s) you feel is relevant to this position.
4. Please describe your experience in designing, evaluating the design of, or inspecting/testing automatic fire sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, or automatic smoke control systems.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Sharlene Shikhmuradova at Sharlene.Shikhmuradova@sanjoseca.gov.
To apply, please complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers. This position will remain open until filled and applications are reviewed continuously; therefore, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
Job: Engineering Architectural
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Standard
Job Posting: Feb 7, 2018, 11:07:03 AM
Minimum Salary: 90,937.60
Maximum Salary: 115,128.00
Bargaining Unit 1: Association of Engineers and Architects
Closing Date: Ongoing
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?
Fire Protection, Electronic Security & Life Safety's Top Job Board since 2006
We've been serving Fire Protection, Electronic Security & Life Safety jobs for ten years.
Browse Job Seeker Profiles and Post your Jobs today!! Take advantage of our multiple packages and save your recruiting budgets.
: Browse jobs and post your resume. Take advantage of our
job alert emails
Questions? Call 877-562-2627
Follow us on
/ Like us on
/ Join our
Post a Job
Terms & Conditions